First, make sure you meet these requirements:
- You are entitled to sales tax exemption under the Indian Act
- The product is delivered to a reserve*
- All Federal and Provincial tax exemption requirements are adhered to
- The below forms are submitted by mail, fax, or email within 30 days of the ship date on your invoice
*If you are an Ontario resident and your order is being shipped to a location in Ontario, but not to a First Nation Reserve, you can still apply for an exemption from the 8% provincial portion of the HST, provided you meet the other requirements and complete the steps below.
Then, complete these two pieces of documentation and submit them by email, fax, or regular mail:
1. A completed and signed (pdf) Sales Tax Exemption Form (First Nations)
2. A copy of one of the following documents:
- (pdf) Certificate of Indian Status (CIS) if the order is for personal use (you must include both sides of the document)
- Status Indian Band Certification if the order is for band use (you must include both sides of the document)
*Please note: You will need to submit a Sales Tax Exemption Form along with the proper documentation for each order being claimed. If the claims are being submitted all at once you do not need to submit multiple copies of your CIS or Status Indian Band Certification, however, if the claims are being submitted separately, then all necessary documentation listed above must be submitted each time.
To submit via email, please scan your completed form and a copy of both sides of your certificate and email to email@example.com. Please ensure the scan is clear and legible before sending.
To submit via mail or fax, please send the completed form and a copy of your certificate to:
E-Commerce, Order Management Group
8800 Glenlyon Parkway
When compiling and sending the required information, please keep in mind that only claims meeting the above-mentioned exemption requirements will be considered. Merely submitting a claim is not an official agreement or guarantee that tax will be refunded.
Fully completed exemption requests with supporting documents will be reviewed within 5 business days of receipt. If additional information is required, a claim may take longer to evaluate and a futureshop.ca representative may need to contact you.
Our ability to provide a refund of the sales tax is based on applicable GST/HST rules as well as any provincial laws applicable in the “ship-to” province. If your claim does not meet all requirements, Futureshop.ca will not be able to refund any sales tax.