Defective software, defective hardware
The DCX3510 has numerous ongoing defects that have not been addressed by Shaw. Here's a list of the ones I've encountered after owning it for about 2.5 years, that continue to not be addressed:
- recordings will occasionally lock themselves for content (even if you don't even use parental controls). The workaround is to unplug the box and plug it back in .... which works. Plain software defect.
- the fastforward function will jump you back between 5s-60s (no way to know how long) when you stop fastforwarding. Sometimes it will even jump you back further than where you started!
- recordings will sometimes have 'blank/blackscreens' at random intervals, apparently some defect in the way it records.
- recordings for 'series' recordings will randomly fail to record episodes, even without any conflicts or other recordings around that time - it may just randomly decide not to record a particular episode.
- recordings will sometimes be randomly cutoff, without any conflicting recordings.
- the box will occasionally freeze up when you are moving through the menu
- there is often lag when navigating the menu, and sometimes it will completely stop responding then catch up every button you pressed a few minutes later
- the box will occasionally go to showing "PSLD" or "BOOT" and get stuck there, with no functioning until unplugged and plugged back in.
- there is no picture in picture or frame by frame advance functionality