Flip Your Tech trade-in program FAQs.
1. What is the Flip Your Tech trade-in program?
Future Shop’s Flip Your Tech program offers you a convenient way to bring us your gently used electronics and trade them in for a Future Shop gift card. Due to legal restrictions, you must be at least 19 years old to take advantage of the program.
2. What can I trade in?
We're constantly evaluating categories where we can offer you great value for electronics you no longer use. At this time, we’re only able to accept iPod & MP3 players, tablets, cellphones, laptops, games and gaming consoles.
3. How much do I get for my stuff?
The age, condition and the original accessories included will affect the trade-in value of your items. Future Shop uses proprietary technology to evaluate your device and provide a competitive offer based on the aforementioned factors.
4. What do I need to include with my product?
Please include any manuals, accessories and packaging that came with the product. Missing manuals and accessories may impact the trade-in value offered. Please also note that to accept your item for your trade-in, it must have a visible serial number. The serial number should not be removed, scratched off or manipulated in any way. You are responsible for removing any data from your device before giving the product to us. Under no circumstances shall Future Shop be liable for any loss of any data or media from products delivered to us for trade-in or recycling.
5. What is required to complete a trade-in transaction in-store?
Due to legal restrictions, you must be at least 19 years old and have a government issued photo ID. Each store may be required to record additional information depending on its respective jurisdictional by-laws.
6. What happens to the item I trade in?
Your device will be:
- Sold by Future Shop Secondary Markets channels or other Future Shop resale outlets (resale).
- Sent to the Service Centres (for parts and refurbished devices sold via the Future Shop outlets online).
- Responsibly disposed of via our Recycling Program.
7. Do I need to bring the receipt for the item I want to trade in?
No, having a receipt will not make a difference in the trade-in transaction. Trade-in items may have been purchased from retailers other than Future Shop.
8. How do you assess the condition of my product?
Our Product Experts perform a condition check using our proprietary software system. This tool enables us to conduct a fair appraisal with standardized metrics for each product eligible for trade-in. Devices will be given one of four classifications, upon which we'll base your trade-in value:
- GOOD - The device is fully functional with no technical problems and is in like-new condition.
- FAIR - The device is fully functional with no technical problems, and only a few scratches due to normal use. If the device has a screen, there are no scratches or burned out pixels.
- POOR - The device has one or more of these issues: Minor functional damage or product failure that can be easily repaired; more than normal visible wear and tear, including cracks, dents, scratches, dirt, user-added stickers and other signs of use.
- NOT WORKING - The device has one or more of these issues: It has functional damage or product failure that affects its ability to perform its function or impairs its use and cannot be easily repaired; it has water damage or damage from other fluids. Items falling in this condition will have NO trade-in value and will not qualify for this program (unless advertised under specific promotions).
9. Why do some Future Shop stores allow me to trade in my used games but not other trade-in products?
At this time internal limitations restrict our ability to accept products other than used games in a small group of stores.
10. Which used games can I trade in at Future Shop?
We accept trade-in games from the following consoles: PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, PlayStation Portable, Nintendo DS and DSi, Nintendo Wii, Xbox 360 and Xbox One. Due to inventory fluctuations, Future Shop reserves the right to limit acceptance of certain titles.
Future Shop reserves the right to refuse any Flip Your Tech transaction for any reason. Flip Your Tech is currently only available at select Future Shop locations. You must be at least 19 years of age with a valid government-issued photo ID. Future Shop is required by law to collect and record additional information as necessary. The information collected by Future Shop during any Flip Your Tech transaction may be communicated to law enforcement authorities for law enforcement purposes. The product must be in good working condition and have an intact serial number. Not all products are eligible for Flip Your Tech. The condition of the product and available documentation and accessories may affect the estimate. Flip Your Tech value may depend on our evaluation of a number of factors, including condition, product age and specifications, documentation, resale value, etc. Flip Your Tech estimates are subject to change and therefore they are only valid at time of estimate inquiry. You are responsible for removing any data from your product before providing the product for evaluation. You will be required to sign an agreement in-store. Payment is by Future Shop gift card only and is not redeemable for cash. Flip Your Tech transactions are irreversible after issuance of the Future Shop gift card. For complete details, see a Customer Service Representative in-store.
2Trade in your used cell phone for a gift card. Plus, get up to an additional $50 off select devices. New in-store activation required on select 2-year voice and data plans. See in-store for details.
3The product must be fully functional with no technical problems, no water damage, no major scratches and in like new condition with an intact serial number. Not all products are eligible for Trade-In. The condition of the product and available documentation and accessories may affect the estimate.
4Participating stores vary by region. Due to municipal by-laws Trade-in is not currently available in: Surrey and Kelowna (BC), Winnipeg (MB), Sudbury and Richmond Hill (ON), Vaughan (ON) and Granby (QC). Trade-in hours may vary from store hours.